I more or less finished Bethany’s cart today. More or less because while the cutting and welding are finished, it doesn’t have a deck yet. That will have to wait until I come up with a piece of plywood or deck boards.
The frame had a peg welded to it to keep the front wheel from turning all the way around. That had to go to improve the maneuverability of the cart.
The frame was designed in two sections so it could be disassembled to fit in the trunk of a car.
I’m more concerned with strength than disassembly so I cut off the T handle and welded the sections of the frame together. Don’t look too closely at the welds; I’m not much of a welder.
The handlebars (technically called a “tiller”) had a spring-loaded pin that allowed the angle to be adjusted, and also allowed them to fold down flat for portability. I cut the pin down and trimmed the bottom of the handle so it has a wider range of unencumbered motion.
The handle was too short and the handlebars didn’t allow a centered grip with one hand. I cut the front bumper off and straightened the steel to use to extend the handle, then welded a pin in place to hold a foam crutch handle. I don’t know how well it will hold up, but it’s nice and comfy.
The whole contraption is far from pretty, especially since I caught the tires on fire at one point, but it works well.
Our new goat who has yet to be named watched me the whole time from 5 feet away, not the least bit concerned by all the noise.
On the subject of the wind turbine, I got a very prompt email back from the manufacturer of the scooter. According to the information he sent about the motor, the turbine could make about 2 kW at peak output.