This morning when we hit the traffic jam in Northern VA, we pulled up behind a car with one of the greatest license plates, ever. “OHH MAN”. Very appropriate.
We finished early today so I was able to almost finish another job that I’ve been putting off for a couple weeks. Just a couple little detail things to take care of then I’ll be done. And I can get paid…
When I finally got home the second time today, I worked on the chicken plucker. I know I’ve been promising for weeks that I’m about to finish it. Turns out the metal drum is a lot tougher to drill than I expected and I could only drill a few holes before the drill would start to overheat. I finally finished drilling, cleaned out the burrs, and pulled all the fingers. I cut the agitator shaft, modified the motor mount to clear the backside of the plucker fingers, made a spacer block to raise the plucker plate half an inch, and test fitted everything. It looks like it will work well. It’d better, because we’re now scheduled to kill about 70 chickens three days from now.
I didn’t have time to take pictures today, but when I do the final assembly tomorrow or Friday I’ll get pictures and try to get a post up by Friday night. We’ll take a lot of pictures of the whole butchering process, including making dog food, and make a series of posts covering those processes.